Friday, June 24, 2011

5 Days Till Departure

Well...I'm leaving in five days and I literally can hardly believe it. When I signed up for the language program back in November, June seemed so far away. Now it's almost time to leave and I feel so unprepared (even though I am prepared..). Just feeling the stress of it all....the traveling, switching flights, customs in Amsterdam (ugh..), taking 2 different trains when I land... It's a lot to think about all at once I guess, but I know it will all work out. I just worry... :-)

Right now I'm trying to figure out the power converter/adapter situation for my laptop. yup.

So far I have done a ton of laundry, and I know what I want to pack, but I haven't done it yet lol. I guess it just hasn't really dawned on me that I'm leaving so soon! ahhhhh. I really am excited though. Being abroad, especially immersed into the German culture, is so exciting for me. Like I mentioned before, i'm really into my family's history and being able to experience it for myself is just amazing. I'm looking forward to staying with Marianne in Jagsthausen. She lives alone, and in such a small town, so it will be fun for her to have someone around. She got us tickets to see the "Blues Brothers" in town the day after I get there. I'm not sure who exactly they are, though I probably should... I'm just so grateful for her to open up her home to me and go out of her way to make me feel welcome. I'm trying to think of what kind of gift I should bring her to show my appreciation, since it is also a German custom to bring the host/hostess something from your home country (or just something in general). Marianne also doesn't have any children or any family that she sees on a regular basis so she is also excited for my visit. :)

Leaving my home and my usual environment for two months is going to be weird. Don't get me wrong, I love to travel. But it takes a lot out of someone to put yourself in a completely new and different environment. You have to adjust to many things, such as the time change, the culture, language!!, food, laws, religions, even social etiquette. Living/traveling abroad is really a huge test of patience, independence, and the ability to step out of your comfort zone in order to get by. I find this to be a fun challenge, because you really get to know what you are capable of and can feel confident being on your own, even when your surroundings are completely unfamiliar. I'm really really hoping that I won't have any delays or lose my luggage this time. Those kinds of mishaps really just suck lol. But if it does happen, I'm prepared to deal with it. I could probably type so much right now, just with everything that is on my mind, but i'll have to cut it short. bummer... I keep thinking of all these little things I need to do, like charge my ipod, write down addresses, check my flights, study some German...lol oh i'll save that for the plane ride. I'm so excited to be in Germany this time next week! I can't believe it's already here.... I'm about to embark on this huge adventure. Weeeeee flyin solo.

I can't wait to order a Wiener Schnitzel mit Kartoffelsalat.. :)

3 comments:

  1. Yay, I am so glad you are doing a blog! I am excited to get to read about your adventures! Mmmm…Schnitzel….that is what I had on my first night in Vienna. :) I hope that all of your packing and preparations go well and that all things travel related go smoothly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wiener Schnitzel rock!
    Amsterdam customs aren't bad, make sure you have the address of where you're going and are able to show them you have a return flight ticket, that's what they'll want to see.
    your laptop charger should automatically switch to the currents, so all you need is a little thing to put over your plug to make it into a european plug. i only have it the other way round, sorry. but you could probably still order one off amazon and have it arrive in time.
    don't worry about religion, just avoid talking about it!
    and yes, gifts are expected when you go to someone's home. I'm sure she'd like something that is typical oregonian.
    also get used to seeing people use both hands to eat with, the right to cut stuff up and the left one for the work. i never notice it, but people tell me i do it, and think it's funny
    hope maybe something helps

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a relief that my laptop will adjust the the change in electrical current. I have an adapter that will work :) It's funny you mention the way that people eat, because I was taught to eat that way when I was little. I have gotten crap for it over the years, because a lot of people here thinks it's incorrect or weird. But when I was in Germany the last time, my grandma was impressed that I was eating that way:) yay. thanks for the tips!!

    ReplyDelete