Wednesday, July 6, 2011

All Settled In :)

Today was my 3rd day in Schwäbisch Hall, and my second day of classes. The first day of class was a lot of fun. Lots of new faces, everyone was excited to be there. Our teacher is really nice so that's a plus. There are students from all around the world in my class, and like last time I'm the only American haha. I have already made a few friends here, and we hang out and have meals together. Over the past few days I have spoken a lot of English and German, but I really need to focus on more German. The people that I hang around the most all speak Italian and French, so they rattle off in their languages together. I don't really mind it, but sometimes it's weird not being able to understand what everyone is laughing about. But anyways I put my German to good use today. I first had to ask at the reception desk where I can find a doctor to go to, since I have been sick for almost two weeks now and it's not improving. (usually colds go away...). So anyways I went to the Dr office and made an appointment, all in German. Then later when I went to the Dr I also only used German, even during my appointment with the Dr. She told me that I speak good German :) I don't know if she just said that to be nice, but it made me happy. So I got some antibiotics and should be good to go.

Oh yeah, I left class early today because I felt really sick. On the way home from school I tripped walking up some cement steps and it hurt really bad. Then later I was walking up some stairs at the Dr office and did the exact same thing!! Today just wasn't my day....

The town is so beautiful. The streets are all cobblestone and every house or building has its own charm. There is also a river that runs through the city and its so beautiful near the water. We have already gone to the Biergarten and it was a lot of fun. :) i'm hoping to go on sort of a walking tour of the city soon, but we have all been so tired and sick lately. lol. Maybe Friday. On Saturday I think i'm going to the Mercedes Benz musuem in Stuttgart, but I'm still not sure. It would be cool!

We received the books for our language course today. As I was looking through it, I realized that I have already studied a lot of the grammar/subjects in the book in 3rd year German at WOU. So....I don't know if I should say something to the teacher? I don't want to sound like I'm better than everyone else or something, but I feel like the homework is a little too easy for me. I want to be challenged...so that my homework really makes me think. I'm afraid that if I continue with this course I won't learn new Grammar...(Frau Hoobler already covered everything in the book!)... what to do...?

Oh and the beer here is really good.. I approve.

Emily M. :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Em, Glad you're enjoying the local beer. Definitely say something about the content of the book. Your teacher should appreciate your candor and honesty. Also, it would be a shame to go all that way and spend all that money and not get much out of it. You need a challenge. How do the others in class feel about it? Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMM...beer =) You would trip over stuff. I am so jealous, those pictures of the buildings and the town were really cool. It would be so cool to explore it all. I need to learn German, just one phrase, one beer please, and something to do with food. I bet there is some good food too. And if it's too easy say something. No point in hearing it all again, unless you don't know it that well, which I'm sure isn't the case. This is Jerry Stewart, i didn't know what to comment as.

    ReplyDelete