Saturday, July 9, 2011

New Friends & Fun Experiences :)

Let's just start off this post by saying that Germany is SO much different than America. (in mostly good ways, but just stating that life here is a complete 180 from what I'm used to at home).

So my first week of classes is finished. I have met a lot of great people here, and from all over the world. I mostly hang out with the same group of people, made up of Lorenzo, Christina, and Nicoletta from Italy, Marco from Switzerland, Maria from Brazil, Kim from South Korea, Alex from California, and Miguel from Colombia. It's really fun because we all share at least one common interest...learning German. Most of them speak English pretty well, but we still try to communicate in German. Yesterday a few of us when to an indoor salt-therapy pool. It was really fun, and the water was amazing. It's so salty that you aren't supposed to be in the water for more than 20 min at a time. We were in there for about 1.5 hours lol... No wonder I felt like crap afterwards. There was also a sauna upstairs that we practically snuck into with paying because we couldn't figure out how to work the card-reader thing. Anyways, we got in trouble for being in the spa because we had our swimsuits on. Apparently it's mandatory to be naked, so obviously I left lol. No thank you... Strange.

That night we went to a welcoming party put on by the school and then to the Discothek (club). It was a lot of fun, and everyone there went to the school, so there were a lot of familiar faces. Maria and I got ready together and that was a lot of fun. So anyways that Disco... they played about 90% American hip hop/pop, and so much of it was old R&B hits from the early 90's...hahaha. It was fun. I didn't get back to my room until 3am though. (and then had to get up around 8...)oops :) Just couldn't leave the dance floor.

Today we went as a group to Stuttgart to the Mercedes-Benz Museum. It was so cool! I saw over 130 different models, from the mid 1800's until 2012/futuristic models. One of the most interesting things was seeing the very first 4-cylinder engine. Compared to how they look today, we have come a long way! After the museum we got a little free time in the city, and then took the train back to S. Hall. Now we are going out to get pizza in about an hour, but Maria is coming over soon to catch up and we are gonna post some pictures on fb from yesterday/last night :)

Okay so this is unfortunate, but every single time that I drink beer over here, my throat gets really scratchy and it itches in the back of my throat/ears. It drives me crazy!! Last night I had to give my beer away because it was that irritating. Could this be an allergy to something in the beer?? I guess I'll have to drink something else...lol.

Later :)

1 comment:

  1. so excited for you Emily! Soak it all in, you wont be disappointed with what you learn. Also check out the Opera house in Stuttgart. I learned late in my stay in Tubingen that students get a great rate..like 7-9 euros for fabulous seats! You have to wait in line for them, but totally worth it :) Sarah M

    ReplyDelete