Sunday, July 24, 2011

Oh, Germany...You Have My Heart.

I think I was supposed to be born in Germany...
(I know that doesn't make sense, but just go with it)

I have only about one week of class left, and then I will be leaving Schwäbisch Hall...but I'll still be around in Germany for another month or so. On Friday I took an exam, called Zertifikat Deutsch: B1. If I pass then I will receive a certificate stating my proficiency in the German language. This certificate will only be a stepping stone in my study of the German language, but it's an important one. It is also the language requirement when applying for German citizenship...sweet! I still have to speaking-proficiency part of the exam on Wednesday. I will have a brief interview with the instructor about myself, where I live, my family, etc. Then I will have to look at different graphs/statistics/pictures/"story problems" in German, and be able to direct a conversation about it. That will be interesting, but I think I'll manage just fine :) let's hope so.
I have made some really great friends since I've been here. Most of us have class together, and then hang out a lot outside of class too. My friend Maria and I speak german most of the time when we hang out, even though it would be much easier to speak english. For the most part our weekends have been spent hanging out, and going to the disko/bars. It's a lot of fun when you are with the right people, and when you stick together.... Last Friday night was a ton of fun, and there are some pictures up on facebook from it. It's just fun to go out, all dressed up, and dance/socialize. Also I'm in a foreign country so 99.9% of the time I won't see people from the bar/disko again hahaha. Not like in Monmouth where you see everyone from school everywhere you go....blah.
 It's hard to believe that we will all have to say goodbye to each other soon. We will have so many fun memories though...from dancing in the disko, going on little adventures, giggling during class because we have stupid inside jokes, speaking in German when we're pissed off and then laughing because it sounds funny or we make a mistake lol, etc etc etc. :)

All in all, I just want to make my time here count. Obviously I want to do well in my language course and have something to show for it, but I also want to have fun with my friends while we still have the chance. There was a girl named Alex here for 2 weeks who was from California. Since Oregon and Cali are both on the west coast, we would joke around and basically 'talk slang' to each other, since many students here only know "proper English". For example, "whattya wanna do" or "gonna" instead of "going to". oops...sometimes other people who were around us at the time didn't understand, so we would have to correct our English! bad... dooooood.

Oh yeah and us west-coasters managed to find the only Burger joint in town (who says burger joint??). It was one of the best burgers i've ever had! :)

Emily

PS John and the grandparents will be here in 4 days!!! can't wait for that.

PS again.. I don't want to go home. As in to the US. I like it here way too much. But...I will still come back. However I might have to return to Germany once I finish my degree! You never know :)


Maria & I @ Barfüsser

No comments:

Post a Comment